Nutrition Courses Online
Our nutrition courses online teach you the science behind health and wellness. Learn how to maximize the benefits of eating healthy, making adjustments specific to your individual nutrition needs. You'll live a longer, fuller life as a result.
Orientation: Learning at AshworthLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Lesson Group 1: Introduction to Nutrition and HealthIntroduction to Fitness, Nutrition, and Wellness Careers
Introduction to career opportunities available in the fitness and exercise, sports psychology, massage therapy, and nutrition and wellness fields.
The function of nutrients in food choices; assessing nutritional health.
How nutrition discoveries are made; how nutrition experiments translate into guidelines; identifying available nutrition tools to help plan healthier diets.
Tracing the path of a meal from the time it is eaten until it has been digested, absorbed, transported within the body, and metabolized—all the way to the poinwhen the body excretes the meal’s non-absorbable waste products.
Defines carbohydrates; how the body uses carbs; how to plan a diet that includes the correct amount of all types of carbohydrates.
Lesson Group 2: The Building Blocks of NutritionLipids: Not Just Fat
Defines lipids; how lipids function in the body; identifying current recommendations for the amount of fats people should consume and avoid.
Defines proteins; functions of proteins in our diet; how proteins promote good health.
Defines vitamins; how vitamins are grouped; how the body uses vitamins.
The function of water as a macronutrient; the role minerals play in maintaining the body’s health; identifying trace minerals and how they work in balance witeach other.
The role of body weight and body fat in our overall health.
Lesson Group 3: Functional NutritionNutrition for Physical Performance
The influence of exercise on nutritional status and overall health; nutrition’s impact on exercise.
Maintaining adequate nutrition; the role of fortified foods and dietary supplements in nutrition and good health.
The processes related to fetal growth and development; the role of adequate nutrition and consistent prenatal care in reducing the number of high-rispregnancies and low-birthweight babies.
The effects of nutrition choices from birth to adulthood; the effects of nutrition and lifestyle choices on physiological changes related to aging.
The many aspects of feeding the world’s population, including nutritional requirements, food production, politics, and economics.
The safety of our food supply; making wise choices regarding the sources of our daily diet.
Students learn the latest nutrition and diet information in this comprehensive program. Topics include MyPlate guidelines, diet planning, the digestive system, and how nutrients affect energy, wellness and disease.
After completing the Nutrition, Diet, and Health Science program, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the six major classes of nutrients and explain their importance to the healthy functioning of the human body.
- Outline nutritional requirements at all stages of life, from infancy through adulthood.
- Describe how to identify reliable nutritional information using different dietary standards, recommendations and recognized industry tools.
- Outline the path taken by nutrients as they travel through the body and describe the role of the parts of the body in digestion, absorption, and the removal of waste products.
- Describe the benefits of regular physical exercise including aerobic and anaerobic activities and how nutrition factors into exercise for athletes other highly active individuals.
- List and describe the causes of global problems with the food supply and explain ways these issues might be resolved.
Get healthy and live better with our nutrition courses online. Call 1-800-535-1613 or enroll online today.